How To Install A Clickable Affiliate Banner In A WordPress Blog Post is important to most bloggers.
Installing a clickable affiliate banner in a WordPress blog post is simple and quick, but the “hard” part is the process of selecting the best banner, knowing where you have it stored, its color and size, especially the width.
1. Once you have chosen the product or service you want to promote, and you have accessed the affiliate area where the banners are, you need a place where you can store these banners by copy/pasting. Select All then Copy.
It doesn’t happen very often that you take the banner/s you want directly into a new blog post without having to save somewhere..
2. Assuming your storage is in Documents/My Documents you could create a Folder called Blog Post Banners, however most of the time this won’t work because usually the banner doesn’t identify all the info about the banner product/services. Often all you see is a lot of code.
The banners below are just samples. They are actually well-designed and they do show the website/URL but quicktraffictips.com doesn’t identify 101 Traffic Generation Methods. What I mean is, you would have to remember that information because when you save the code you are not saving an image to look at and remind you. This includes what color/s the banner is.
Sometimes you are given a choice of colors for the same banner. HostGator is an example where you can have blue or orange.
So you could make a sub-folder inside Blog Post Banners and call it something like 101 TraffGenMethods OR just have 101 TraffGenMethods by itself as a separate folder in Documents/My Documents.
3. You must always make what you need easy to find. So, if you have a lot of stuff already in Documents/My Documents, create a new folder there first that will lead you.
I sometimes make a folder called Kevin and anything important I put there.
If you are going to use the banner/s for only a short time, you could just name the folder Temp or temp instead of your first name. You can then go back later and delete it.
Also I keep one USB Flash Drive just to hold banners but make sure it’s rated at least 4 Gb.
You might say, why not call the folder Banners instead of Kevin. That wouldn’t really work because now that folder would also include 125 x 125 small square banners that you might insert as a Widget in one of your blog Sidebars. Using widgets is the subject of another article from me, soon.
<a href=”http://QuickTrafficTips.com/?e=”> <img border=”0″ src=”http://www.QuickTrafficTips.com/banners/468×60.gif” alt=”a”
<a href=”http://QuickTrafficTips.com/?e=”> <img border=”0″ src=”http://www.QuickTrafficTips.com/banners/336×280.gif” alt=”a”
The bottom line is have a good easy sytem that suits you and that works.
4. Note the sizes above. 468 x 60 (width x height) is the standard size for blog posts and is quite common. It’s your blog after all, so if you don’t like the wide banner, use a large square or rectangle banner, which is why the second sample banner code shows 336 x 280. It was the largest to choose from but in real life some square banners can be quite large eg 1/2 a page in size.
5. <a href=”http://QuickTrafficTips.com/?e=”> <img border=”0″ src=”http://www.QuickTrafficTips.com/banners/468×60.gif” alt=”a”
wide red/blue banner for 101 Traffic Generation Methods
See above. Here I’m telling myself what the banner is for, because I might forget. Again, do what suits you BUT make it quick. Not take you all evening. But later you only copy paste between <a and a> NOT your little note to yourself.
6. So far, none of the banners above contain your affiliate ID for this product. I know the seller is Matt and he’s an organized guy, which means there was a box at the top of the affiliate page which allowed you to insert either an ID of your choice OR your PayPal ID so you get paid.
When you entered your chosen ID and submitted, your ID was auto inserted everywhere on the page, that is, all banners and suggested emails to send out.
Therefore ?e=” becomes ?e=’yourchosenid’ OR ?e=” becomes ?e=’yourpaypalemailaddress’
7. Matt allows you to insert either of these ID’s onscreen BUT most days you can’t do this, so you do it in Notepad by copy/paste.
Remember Notepad is a wonderful simple HTML editor. I use it every day.
Message: You don’t need to know HTML just copy/paste and Notepad.
8. Suppose the banners above were Clickbank style banners. Then you might have seen http://xxxx.qtp.hop.clickbank.net within the banner code.
In this instance, while in Notepad, you replace the xxxx with your Clickbank affiliate ID. Everything else remains much the same. Don’t forget to Save after you do this.
I don’t like to assume anything, but I have to assume that you have a system/notebook to record ID’s, user names, passwords etc for your Internet activities.
9. Once you’ve finished with Notepad you have to go to File then Save As, then point to where you want this banner/s saved, as a .txt file.
10. Now you can proceed with the banner/s installation in your blog post which you have just finished. If you did Publish this post you can just go back to Edit Post and add the banner/s.
11. You are now at the screen where you have written your WordPress post. At the top right you will see small Visual and Text boxes.
You are in Text mode. If you left click with your mouse on the Text box, this will switch you to Visual which is the HTML version of your post.
12. Scroll down to the end of your post or to the line where you want to insert the banner you have already copied. Then press Enter a couple of times to make a space for your banner. Make sure your blinking cursor is on the line where you want your banner to appear.
When you preview your post later, you can always close up unwanted spaces by pressing DEL.
Right click with your mouse then left click on Paste.
Left click on Visual which will return you to Text mode. You should now see your finished banner.
13. If you can’t see your banner, then refresh the page.
Note: When you’re searching for affiliate stuff, sometimes you will come across banners which are not meant to be clickable, so no HTML code appears. So you just right click and Save Image. The affiliate page will always tell you what you have to do.
Your friend and mentor,